2022 Opportunity grants are now available!
Humanities Washington is excited to offer Opportunity Grants. These grants support statewide access to public humanities presentations and events, and are intended for small or rural organizations.
Organizations with projects led by and serving underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. These groups include people who identify as Black, Indigenous, or people of color; young people (18-35); people who live in rural areas; people with disabilities; people who identify as immigrants or refugees; and people whose first (or only) language is not English; among others.
Opportunity Grants Summary
- Up to $1,000 awarded, no match required
- Intended to support public humanities presentations or events that clearly serve a
Washington State audience.
- Intended to support small organizations (prioritizing organizations with annual operating
budgets under $250,000) and serve underrepresented groups.
- Application must be received at least eight weeks prior to the proposed project start
date. Funded activity may occur within one year following notification.
- Online applications are submitted year-round with monthly deadlines, but applicants are
encouraged to submit as far in advance as possible. Applications are due on the last day
of each month and applicants will receive decisions within 30 days of submission.
- Twenty Opportunity Grants will be awarded from March to December 2022. Applications will
be accepted until funds have been fully allocated.
A project that meets the following criteria is eligible for Opportunity Grants funding:
- Consists of a public humanities presentation or event and will be readily accessible to the
- Is affiliated with a nonprofit organization or public agency organized in Washington State
and clearly serves a Washington State audience. While groups do not need to be
incorporated or have tax-exempt status, they must be organized for nonprofit purposes.
Individuals are not eligible to receive Humanities Washington grants.
- Includes at least one humanities scholar.
- Will occur at least eight weeks after the application submission date; the project will
conclude within one year of the application submission date.
- Includes eligible expenses for Opportunity Grant funding.
- Organizations that have previously received Humanities Washington funding must
submit a final report for their last project before applying for a new project.